StanAlone
sofa king re-wetarded

Deleted: 0
Rate: +
Points ($): 5590

Mood: mcat status

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Stock trading

Since this forum still has some oldies lurking around, I'd like to pick your brains and start a productive discussion on stocks.

Any of you do so?
What platform do you use? Etrade/Trade King/Fidelity/Share Builder/etc. err
Online vs Broker?
How did you get started?
Where do you do your research?
How else do you choose stocks?
etc.etc
mtledmund

Deleted: 2
Points ($): 670

Mood: Happy happy~ :D

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote

I've been trading with online broker only. Everything is more clear to me and setting up all the trades is just easier that way.

How did I started... Rich dad poor dad book --> Their real estate show --> Their online webinar --> Randomly found out Trade Smart University, great education there, and they still offer level 1 stock and options for free.

Used to use a software, now mainly using freestockchart and stockcharts.com.

Don't really choose stock, once knowing technical analysis, any stock has opportunity.

Currently into FOREX now, a much more exciting game.
lbrother28

Deleted: 6
Points ($): 16462

Mood: bored

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote

Good topic, I was just looking into stock a week ago too.

Hows FOREX? Whats a good source to learn?

Since most members have grown up, I think outie should start to move toward more mature topics like "how to make money."

mtledmund

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote

I am learning FOREX with TSU as well. However, if you learned about stocks already, FOREX is extremely similar (but mind you the FOREX market is being traded 24hrs, 5 days a week, there are differences). Less choice to trade because you have only "26" major pairs of currency to trade only. There are exotic pairs too, but that's more risky.

FOREX is traded on metatrader4 or whichever platform is offered from the broker website, they are usually free and you can open a demo account almost everywhere.
lbrother28

Deleted: 6
Points ($): 16462

Mood: bored

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote

I dont see the TSU level 1 stock course for free. Link please.

And is 500$ a good start to play on the market?

mtledmund

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote

http://www.tradesmartu.com/ and on that page, you will see "Today's Scholarship". That's a short and free lvl 1.

I strongly suggest starting with a demo account, and never trade the money that you can't lose.
genki

Deleted: 39
Points ($): 305

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote

outside of trading securities...
anyone into sports wagering, props or prediction markets?
i used to trade on intrade for a while, but they recently got shut down for running an unregulated securities market

i killed it in the oscars this year, DDL was the lock of the century
Remind me to share my plays on Nathan's Hotdog competition.. haha been killing that every year too
StanAlone
sofa king re-wetarded

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by mtledmund
How did I started... Rich dad poor dad book --> Their real estate show --> Their online webinar --> Randomly found out Trade Smart University, great education there, and they still offer level 1 stock and options for free.

Thanks for the book/webinar references! I think this is it.
For the lazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDrCDibl33Y

Quote:
Used to use a software, now mainly using freestockchart and stockcharts.com.

What did you use those sites for? Technical analysis? Which specs did you look at?

Quote:
Don't really choose stock, once knowing technical analysis, any stock has opportunity.

True.. but you had to have chosen stocks that were better than others.. What types of numbers did you look at during the analysis? Financials, P/E, etc

Quote:
Currently into FOREX now, a much more exciting game.

Can you explain briefly how this works? Buy currency X, knowing that it will rise against currency Y in the near future?

I'll most likely stick to stocks, since this is for something mundane - retirement.

Thanks again! Any additional information will be appreciated!

===

Quote:
Originally posted by lbrother28
Good topic, I was just looking into stock a week ago too.

Since most members have grown up, I think outie should start to move toward more mature topics like "how to make money."

Exactly! I figure our community would have some people in this field. Hope this starts a trend!
StanAlone
sofa king re-wetarded

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by genki
outside of trading securities...
anyone into sports wagering, props or prediction markets?
i used to trade on intrade for a while, but they recently got shut down for running an unregulated securities market

i killed it in the oscars this year, DDL was the lock of the century
Remind me to share my plays on Nathan's Hotdog competition.. haha been killing that every year too

How stable is this income? I have a workout buddy who does sports with over/under, parlay, etc. but I've never asked him how he does.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your biggest win, your biggest lost, and your net gain/loss.
genki

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote

its pretty stable, i average about 5-9% return each month of my total bankroll

I specialize in mma and combat sports, dont touch any other sports as i'm not familiar with them. I find mma is easier as there are less variables. You only concern yourself with two athletes at a time. I try to look for places where the market is off, and size my bets accordingly. several times a year i'll come across a play that almost reaches lock status and i may play up to 20-25% of my br on it. Unlike boxing, where strong favourites come out at -1000 or worse, in mma, even terrible mismatches are only -400 or -500.
for example, GSP thios weekend was -450 if you got in when the lines opened, but the real money was in the props. GSP dec was -170, GSP UD -115 (hour before the fight), and GSP -9.5 was -135. So you can get pretty good value if you know what to look for.

There are plenty of different strategies to win in MMA. I prefer to analyze the fights and fighters because i've always been a big mma fan anyways. but other methods include predicting line movement, using arbs and smart hedges (for example if you want to play against clay guida, you always have the option of hedging your bet with guida by dec at +300 or something).
Also, if you have enough accounts at different sport books, you can middle a lot of the lines. I catch a lot of NFL lines even though i know nothing about them. for example one book may have XX scores over 200 yards, +180, and another book will have XX scores under 200 yards, -110.
Sometimes i'll max out a line when it opens, cause i can tell its obviously mispriced and i'll have a chance to play the other side later when the lines have moved. Its not always about middling, you can also create your own lines if you know how to predict the movement.

it\s stable as long as you manage your bankroll intelligently and accurately assess your edge. I used to play quite aggressively.. and turned an initial $150 to 15k in about a year, but the same greed dropped half my bankroll
I've come a long way from that though... now i follow the kelly criterion when sizing bets, and this has become a sizable portion of my income.

I wouldnt get into this unless you are insanely passionate and knowledgable about a certain sport. Just like poker, a lot of guys get into this, but they dont have an accurate view of their own abilities. They might get lucky initially, but eventually that will catch up with you. I think the more obscure sports have better value, as they are considered less "solved"
thats why i like to play things like nathan's hot dog eating comp, as the lines are often mispriced. Sports like baseball are notoriously hard to win, they are so "solved" that books will offer lines like -102/+100
genki

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote

i've recently added live betting to my game, and it has been quite successful.

I can hammer the live lines as each fighter is gaining momentum throughout the fight. Doesnt even matter who wins when you can get both sides at +200
genki

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by StanAlone

How stable is this income? I have a workout buddy who does sports with over/under, parlay, etc. but I've never asked him how he does.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your biggest win, your biggest lost, and your net gain/loss.

I used to play online poker a lot, but found this to be more enjoyable. Much of the concepts i learned in poker carry over into sports handicapping.
I dont really think in terms of big wins or losses, but rather if i had accurately judged my edge. You always want your plays to be +ev, and i'll keep counting those sklansky bucks even when i get robbed or face a bad beat.
my biggest loss was about 8k on fucking brendan schaub against nogeira. god that was a fucking bad read, and i shouldnt have been sizing my bets like that. More recently i dropped another 6k on cain velasquez against JDS their first fight. It was the right play though, as i was on cain again for the rematch and that cashed big time.
redeemer213

Points ($): 214

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote

Hi does anyone here trade options on the market? if you do please msg me and let me know
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member redeemer213's Aim Send Points ($)
Kurogashi
Tenshi

Deleted: 13
Points ($): 29775

Mood: DessertS

[*] posted on 3-25-2013 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote

If you have no idea what you're doing, you're asking for huge losses in the future. Do not scalp or day trade if you don't have a huge sums of money at your disposal. Go long and if you feel the market has peaked, take money off the table. Shorting, options (heavy leveraging) isn't for anybody who's new to investing. Common advice for retail investors is to simply go buy mutual funds or low risk ETFs and hold for many years. It is highly unlikely that you will get rich or be the next Warren Buffett. You can be up 100-200% one year, then lose all of those gains (and then some) in the following years. It's mathematically proven that fundamentally, you can't beat the market over the long run. So, keep that in mind.

I'm no financier or banker, but I've audited Finance courses and read all the must reads like (The Intelligent Investor, Security Analysis), and even now, I'm still wary of getting back into the market. I was up 84% last year (thanks to Sears), and then started losing 3-5% the following months until I decided to pull money off the table. So even today, I still think it was luck and not skills, and knowing that, if I go back in I'll most likely lose everything.

Anyway, with all that said, there are always opportunities and money to be made. If I have to give one advice, it would be to learn how to hedge against your risk. You want to be able to maximize upside and minimize downside losses. If you can't do that, you are simply gambling, not investing. There are Finance textbooks you can torrent like Investments by Bodie, Cane, et al., but it's a steep learning curve, so good luck and be careful.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3237/brsss2.png
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger Send Points ($)
claudewolfe

Points ($): 2855

[*] posted on 3-28-2013 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote

Just buy conservative blue-chip mutual funds that pay dividends and reinvest the dividends and do it periodically. Most successful investors don't make their money from gains in share price, but through reinvested dividends. Use a big broker like Fidelity/Schwab/etc. That's what I did for the past 12 years. As unexciting as it sounds, you would have more than doubled (or possibly tripled) your money in that time period investing like that even with the down market . . .

http://www.speedtest.net/result/418010106.png
Post new thread Poll:

Go To Top